African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution. Its mission is to promote economic growth and social progress across the continent. The Bank has 80 member countries, including 54 African countries (regional member countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth. In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 - 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely; energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa.
Secretary/Receptionist - RDGC.0
Position N°: 50065202
- The Vice Presidency in charge of Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery is responsible for ensuring the operational relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the Bank Group's operational activities and programmes.
- The Vice Presidency in charge of Regional Development will ensure that the Bank conducts its activities effectively in all its Regional Member Countries (RMCs) and will oversee the full implementation of all aspects of the Bank's Regional Directorates.
The Hiring Department/Division
- Within the Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery Complex (RDVP), the Bank has five (5) Regional Development, Integration and Business Delivery (RDIBD) Directorates, one in each region of Africa: North, South, East, West, and Central. Each Regional Directorate is headed by a Director General (DG) and is staffed with the relevant sectoral functions and administrative capabilities for rapid delivery of services to client countries.
- The Regional Directorates provide overall strategic direction to country offices within the regions and are responsible for the Bank’s operations, business development, project management and overall effective delivery of the Bank’s High 5s: ‘Light up and Power Africa,’ ‘Feed Africa,’ ‘Industrialize Africa,’ ‘Integrate Africa,’ ‘Improve the Quality of Life for the People of Africa.’
- Under the general supervision of the Director General, The Secretary/Receptionist will provide administrative support.
- The incumbent will help the Director General and the team to make the best use of his time by dealing with secretarial and administrative tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Secretary/Receptionist is responsible for the following activities and related services:
- Make appointments for experts and other staff and keep their schedules up to date;
- Receive visitors and attend to them with tact and discretion;
- Prepare briefing material used by experts for official missions and special meetings;
- Handle protocol-related issues concerning; reception of the visitors of experts and of the Office;
- Organize experts’ meetings; assist the Director General‘s team assistant in coordinating official receptions;
- Participate in staff meetings, take notes and produce reports in the absence of the Director General’s team assistant;
- Draft correspondence on non-substantive issues and ensure its follow-up;
- Manage the experts’ incoming and outgoing mail and the office’s telephone communication;
- Maintain an appropriate filing system; process experts’ back-to-office reports, ascertain the quality of documents requiring the approval and / or signature of experts and other staff members;
- Prepare and finalize draft correspondence (letters, faxes, etc.) concerning various aspects, on behalf of experts, prepare minutes of experts ‘meetings;
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree or its equivalent in Business Administration, Commerce, Administration or a related field, supplemented by training in secretarial functions/administration/office management
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of relevant experience in progressive positions, attached to an executive’s office, preferably in an international organization;
- Be able to work under pressure and to prioritize in the dynamic setting of an international and multicultural setting. Ability to work and cooperate with others from diverse background;
- Handling speedily and efficiently internal and external requests;
- Ability to manage simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and tight deadlines;
- Proficiency in the use of standard equipment (computer, fax, scanner, photocopies etc.);
- Demonstrable commitment to delivering excellent customer service focused reception and administration services;
- Be able to multi task, excellent problem solving skills and attention to detail;
- Effective communication; highly client oriented, good team working and relations;
- Ability to operate effectively in a multicultural organization;
- Good innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits for the clients and the organization;
- Integrity and confidentiality;
- Proficiency in written and verbal communication in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other;
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint). Knowledge of SAP or other ERP systems would be an asset.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.