Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
Consultant - Development and Production of IYCF Teaching Videos
- Working to Improve Nutrition in Northern Nigeria (WINNN) is a 6-year project funded by DFID, which started in September 2011. The overall objective of the project is to reduce mortality through decreasing the incidence and prevalence of under nutrition in Nigeria with focus on Jigawa, Katsina, Kebbi, Yobe and Zamfara States.
- The programme is implemented by a partnership that includes UNICEF, Save the Children and Action against Hunger (ACF).
- The overall object of the WINNN programme is to build the capacity of the state and LGAs to implement nutrition interventions as routine services through existing PHC structures and to use evidence-based advocacy to improve political commitment to and government funding for nutrition interventions.
- WINNN aims to improve maternal and child nutrition in Northern Nigerian through support to primary health care service providers for the implementation nutrition interventions as routine services through existing PHC structures, funded by the Government of Nigeria. Behaviour change communication (BCC), outreach and counselling are key activities for the project under the IYCF output.
- Alive & Thrive is a global initiative to save lives, prevent illness, and ensure healthy growth and development through improved breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices in Lagos and Kaduna states.
- Good nutrition in the first 1,000 days, from conception to two years of age, is critical to enable all children to lead healthier and more productive lives. Alive & Thrive is managed by FHI 360 and funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the governments of Canada and Ireland; with the goal to enhance child health and development outcomes and save lives in Nigeria through a sustainable national program of optimum breastfeeding and complementary feeding practices in children under 2.
- Evolving from the results of their Infant and Young Child Feeding (IYCF) work in three countries (Bangladesh, Ethiopia and Vietnam), Alive and Thrive (A&T) developed a comprehensive strategy of four components to affect actions at scale that address barriers to optimal IYCF:
- Advocacy among influential leaders and institutions, including doctors, medical schools, and health systems to ensure that policies are in place to encourage and support early breastfeeding;
- Interpersonal communication and community mobilization among mothers, fathers, grandmothers, and community elders, starting during antenatal health visits and expanding through the community;
- Mass communications, especially TV advertising campaigns in Bangladesh and Vietnam, to reinforce messages; and,
- Generation and use of strategic data throughout to persuade and to make program decisions.*
- Individual and group counselling through effective interpersonal communication have been proven to improve key nutrition practices and promote recommended IYCF behaviours early initiation of breastfeeding, exclusive breastfeeding and improved dietary diversity during complementary feeding thereby fostering long term behaviour change.
- Various contact points have been identified in the public health care (PHC) system where health service providers conduct individual and group counselling to caregivers during ANC, PNC, immunization visits and sick child clinic days with the adopt the recommended IYCF behaviours. During the counselling sessions the use of teaching aids such as counselling cards, dolls and dummy breast and videos have shown to be effective in improving learning and hands on support.
- It is therefore imperative that teaching videos that promote the recommended IYCF behaviours be developed in the context in which the projects implement.
- Mass media plays a powerful and vital role in influencing awareness level leading to changes in attitude and behaviors of members of the society. These teaching videos will be used for Interpersonal communication (IPC), Community mobilization (CM) and government stakeholders to promote the recommended IYCF Behaviours to adopted by caregivers and create and enabling environment for the sustenance of the behaviours.
- The WINNN and Alive & Thrive programme under its IYCF intervention focuses on the first 1000 days and the proposed consultancy to videos from messages on the effect of malnutrition on adolescent in view of early marriage to further strengthen the IYCF components of the programmes focusing on the health and nutrition of women of reproduction age.
Specific Objectives Include:
Objective 1: Develop videos for using key messages:
- Put baby to breast for 1hour
- Baby instructively finds mothers breast & attach – BF initiate (natural occurance)
- 0 - 6 months
- Mixed feeding, no water, BF difficulties, in special circumstance. (HIV, C-section).
- Breastfeeding and working mums
- Expressing and storing breastmilk
- Helping mothers
- Positioning and attachment
Complementary feeding – DD (Dietary Diversity):
- Continued BF
- Meal Preparation
- Types of food
- Food groups
- Age Appropriate feeding foods
- Maternal Nutrition
Water Sanitation and Hygiene:
Hand washing -Critical Times:
- Food preparation
- Food storage
- Development of script using the National IYCF training manuals, WINNN Care group manual and A&T IPC for IYCF training manual
- Coordination and Production of videos, 15 minutes extended video per topic area and 2 minutes summary Video
- The Consultant will work with SCI nutrition team in using key messages from the adolescent girls from the research conducted to develop the storyboard and approaches used for filming
- The SCI nutrition team to review the storyboards and scripts submitted and select the final that audiences will find emotionally powerful and clear in terms of the behaviour and messaging, and the vendor will elaborate these stories with scripts and dialogue.
- The consult will review the Script and prepare story boards with details of settings, identification of scenarios, dialogue etc. for approval by SCI nutrition team.
- The Consultant will manage the production process and team while engaging SCI nutrition TA in all key steps.
- Consultant will provide a rough cut of each of the videos and work with SCI nutrition TA for final edits and colour correction.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Save The Children career website on savethechildrenng.simplicant.com to apply