The European Commission’s Directorate General for European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations (ECHO) funds relief operations for victims of natural disasters and conflicts outside the European Union.
For humanitarian aid, the Commission works with about 200 operational partners, including United Nations agencies, the Red Cross/Crescent movement and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Aid is channelled impartially, straight to victims, regardless of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, age, nationality or political affiliation.
Administrative and Finance Assistant
Job Level: Group III
- The ECHO office in Abuja, Nigeria, is seeking for an Administrative and Finance Assistant who will be based in Abuja with possible travels to other Nigeria States.
- The job holder plans and executes all necessary office administrative and financial functions. The employee should carry out finance, accounting and administration duties, crisis support on finance and human resources and other related duties.
Responsibilities & Tasks
Within delegated authority, the Administration & Finance Assistant (Group III) will be responsible for the following tasks:
Budget & Finance:
- Prepares the annual budget and its amendments. Registers and updates the authorized budgets in the system;
- Reviews and ensures eligibility and accuracy of invoices, debit notes, credit notes, missions advances, missions claims and other reimbursements requests received from internal and external parties;
- Registers/creates orders in the Financial Report Management tool by ensuring the chronological receiving dates of invoices and receipts;
- Creates payment/revenue records when payments become due by ensuring correctness of budgetary, non-budgetary and analytical codes. Review and ensure that required supporting evidences are attached to the payment/revenue orders before submitting to relevant financial actors as per the financial circuit;
- Prepares bank and petty cash disbursements to ECHO staff and suppliers. Ensure that recipients acknowledge receipt of the payments and receipts are properly issues to ECHO;
- Ensures that payment/revenue orders and all required supporting documents are properly filed;
- Reviews the draft monthly financial reports before closure to ensure consistency and accuracy of financial transactions. Prepares adjustments transactions if needed. Perform bank and petty cash reconciliations and submit the data file before closing to Administration & Finance Coordinator for review;
- Performs monthly financial closures and prepares reports as well as annexes as per ECHO procedures;
- Reviews and ensure that all outstanding non-budgetary accounts are correctly brought forward from the previous months;
- Follows-outstanding cash advances and mission claim regularisations;
- Prepares the calculations and follow-up and collect cash from staff, within appropriate timeline, for private usages of telephone, fax, vehicle and airfare for the portion due by the staff in the case of mission combined with leave;
- Calculates the allowance for arrival and departure temporary accommodation for TAs;
- Conducts cash count at least once a week to reconcile cash balance;
- Prepares and monitor on weekly basis the monthly cash position and forecast reports. Ensure sufficient level of funds in bank accounts and petty cash box to meet payment obligations;
- Maintains the petty cash boxes, cheque books and ensure security precautions;
- Ensure that bank account statements are updated and accounts replenished. Monitor bank accounts and maintain bank documentation;
- Maintains the budget forecast tool;
- Checks the calculation of medical reimbursement and proceed with the payment;
- Manages financial records/reports archive.
Human Resources Management:
- Assists in the recruitment process from publication of vacancies till signature of employment contract;
- Prepares employment contracts of locally contracted personnel;
- Carries out payment of salaries and overtime to all ECHO locally contracted personnel;
- Maintains an overview of expatriate staff’s visa and residence permit situation, and makes necessary applications;
- Maintains national personnel files, follow-up employment contracts amendments and termination of employment contracts;
- Prepares monthly salaries list/salary slips;
- Follows-up staff planning table (staff annual leave, sickness, unjustified absences, training) and prepares monthly report;
- Follow-up Medical/Accident insurance;
- Carries out the training, briefing and welcoming of newly recruited personnel.
- Controls and verifies the payments/transfers preparation and execution;
- Assists and verifies the monthly follow up of the office and TA's budgets updates;
- Provides training and coaching newly recruited staff working on budget & finance.
- Provides advice with respect to conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, and privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules;
- Implements and monitors compliance with HR policies;
- Assists in the recruitment process from publication of vacancies till signature of employment contract.
General Administration Support:
- Drafts administrative and financial notes on administration, office management, events, authorisation request (ARA), monthly report/s, etc.;
- Updates Fiche Bureau and check if proper actions are taken in order to renew contracts;
- Informs the Head of Office, RAC/AC/DRAC or Administration and Finance coordinator, as appropriate, of irregularities with financial, administrative, personnel or logistic matters that require immediate attention;
- Plays an active role in procurement of administrative property and various kinds of expendable supplies necessary for the smooth functioning of ECHO offices within the said area by foreseeing needs and proposing solutions;
- Maintain records and files of lease, service, maintenance and insurance contracts follow-up lease contracts and service contracts;
- Manages vehicle taxes and insurance;
- Ensures timely provision of goods and services for office and projects following established procedures;
- Coordinates exemption requests/approvals and ensure compliance of suppliers and follows-up VAT reimbursements status with the EU Delegation;
- Maintains the electronic filing structure under the in liaison with IT Coordinator for arranging file permission (read and write) and structure revision (new folder/s);
- Maintains and updates administrative and financial files with necessary confidentiality where required;
- Maintains appropriate contacts with government offices and officials of various local organisations as necessary to ensure the correct execution of the administrative and financial duties;
- Maintains the missions follow-up table;
- Deals with travel arrangements for the office personnel Translates financial documents (invoices, contracts, etc.) and operational documents, as appropriate, and maintain complete files.
- Supervises, monitors and reports on the implementation of support services;
- Provides advice on appropriate contract modalities;
- Follows-up local legislation.
Office Specific Responsibilities/Tasks (When applicable):
- Undertakes any additional tasks as assigned by the Head of Office/RSO and/or Headquarters.
- Drive for results - Medium level
- Conduct in Service - Medium level
- Accountability - Medium level
- Working with others - Medium level
- Decision - making - Basic level
- Influencing & Negotiating - Basic level
- Leading & Supervising - Basic level
- Managing & Organising information - Medium level
- Strategic thinking and planning - Basic level
- Communication - Medium level
- Customer Orientation - Medium level
- Organisational Awareness - Medium level
- Adaptability & Flexibility - High level
- Critical Thinking & Problem Solving - Basic level
- A relevant First Level University Degree or equivalent professional experience.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience at national or international level in the area of administration or programme support service including experience in procurement, human resources and finances;
- Previous experience in a Governmental or other International Organisation is an advantage;
- Very Good drafting skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Capable of working under pressure in a multitasking position.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Fluency in English (verbal & writing).
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.