OneFi started in 2012 as a brick and mortar consumer lender focused on the Nigerian market. Having raised a Series A round in 2015, we pivoted in 2016 to become a digital lender via the Paylater App (www.paylater.ng) and we are focused on provided access to financial services to the “Next Billion’ starting in Africa.
Currently, we are the largest fully automated smartphone lender in West Africa with over 1,000,000 apps downloaded and disbursing just under 2,000 loans per day in Nigeria and Ghana. Our 2018 goal is to be a Digital Bank in 3 countries and have secured a Banking license in Nigeria already. OneFi is headquartered in Lagos, Nigeria with offices in South Africa and the UK .
In-House Counsel/Company Secretary
Minimum Qualification: LL.B/B.L
Experience Level: Senior level.
Experience Length: 10 years (Post-Call).
- Oversee all aspects relating to the legal, regulatory and compliance functions of the company.
- Manage the company’s regulatory and associated legal strategy in relation to the regulatory environment.
- Implement all of the key legal processes that relate to legal drafting, negotiations, and commercial settlement agreements.
- Work with management and key stakeholders across the business to ensure legal compliance.
- Manage both proactively and actively all legal risks within the business.
- Liaise with regulatory bodies (including CBN, CAC, LIRS, FIRS, FRC, NOTAP etc.).
- Work and communicate closely with all stakeholders to advance these strategies, including government agencies.
- Build and maintain relations with regulators and external partners.
- Responsible for liaisons with relevant government departments on issues affecting the company and positioning the company positively.
- Oversee the compliance function i.e. ensuring compliance with licenses, regulations, and legislation including the coordination of responses to information requests and regulator inquiries and maintenance of regulatory reports, logs, and databases.
- Control, manage and direct the activities of the commercial legal function.
- Provide professional and strategic advice on all commercial legal advice.
- Responsible for drafting, updating, and reviews of contracts, terms, and conditions of employment etc.
- Report to the chairman and often liaise with board members.
- Organize and prepare agendas and papers for board meetings, committees and annual general meetings.
- Take minutes, draft resolutions, and lodge required forms and periodic returns.
- Follow up on actions from board and management meetings.
- Oversee policies, making sure they are kept up to date and referred to the appropriate committee for approval.
- Maintain statutory books, including registers of members, directors and secretaries.
- Deal with correspondence, collate information and write reports, ensuring decisions made are communicated to the relevant company stakeholders.
Academic Qualifications/Professional Experience.
- A least a Law Degree from a reputable institution and called to the Nigerian Bar.
- Legal and regulatory/compliance Experience.
- Must have a commercial legal background.
- Must be able to effectively manage formal and Informal discussions.
- Must be able to work in an environment that may not be streamlined and clearly defined.
- Must be able to quickly grasp, understand and apply mind to the technical aspect of the business.
- Proven record of enabling and maintaining relations with stakeholders e.g. regulators etc.
- Experience in the financial services environment or the Fintech space is an added advantage.
Personal Qualities and Behavioral Traits.
- Demonstrable track-record producing effective and high-quality legal advice within a business.
- Should have good communication skills in drafting high-value legal documentation, which must be clear, unambiguous, concise, and conclusive, leaving no room for misinterpretation or manipulation.
- Should be the result-driven and service-driven individual, with good problem-solving skills, be highly adaptable and flexible.
- Must work comfortably in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, have an ability to handle multiple simultaneous tasks and meet tight deadlines.
- Must also be a likable and relatable individual who is capable of building strong and long-lasting bonds with others.
- Must be able to inspire trust and confidence in others who will then trust in his/her insights and judgments and readily follow in his/her directives.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to OneFi career website on onefi.bamboohr.co.uk to apply