The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Resources Management Officer
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Working under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission, and the direct supervision of the Resource Management Officer, in Abuja and in coordination with the EUTF Programme Manager and other relevant Units, the successful candidate will be responsible for monitoring of the budgetary, financial, human resources and administrative functions of the Lagos Sub-Office.
- S/he will also contribute to providing recommendations aiming at increasing effectiveness and efficiency of resource management in the Lagos Sub-Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Monitor financial management, particularly in the Sub-Office Lagos, including the oversight of financial expenditures and accountability. Undertake financial analysis of all activities in the assigned sub-office.
- Coordinate with senior management the preparation of donor financial reports in accordance with IOM regulations and established procedures.
- Assist in forecasting cash flows according to activities in the Sub-Office Lagos and ensure daily control of funds disbursed; verify that funding is received in accordance with donor agreements.
- Participate in the preparation and draft portions of the annual budget for the Mission, and assist in the preparation of budgets for new programs.
- Inspect payroll versus budgets, ensuring that salaries are correctly allocated to projects consistent with IOM's projectization criteria.
- Make recommendations on procedural improvements and assist in training local staff in the relevant areas of administration and finance, in coordination with the RMO Abuja and other RM Units in Abuja.
- Assist in the supervision of the Sub-Office Lagos administrative functions, and other related activities, in accordance with the Organization’s policies and procedures.
- Monitor the implementation of procurement, logistics, facilities maintenance, asset administration, and transport support within established internal control mechanisms.
- Evaluate, monitor and update the database of vendor/contractor accreditation and evaluation status to ensure a pool of reliable vendors and contractors.
- Establish and monitor a tracking system of commodities, supplies, and equipment and project assets in the mission.
- Liaise with other internal functional units of the Mission, and support the supervisor in liaising with banks, donors and government counterparts and other stakeholders as required in the performance of the accounting function.
- Liaise with relevant units at IOM Abuja with regards to the financial and administrative activities of the Mission.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification as chartered accountant (CA) or certified public accountant (CPA), Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA), or Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience in financial management, accounting and budgeting;
- Experience in budgeting and reporting for EU funded projects;
- Experience in the field of resources management, IOM project financial planning and budget revision management;
- Good knowledge of human resources management;
- Familiarity with financial oversight and public administration;
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with international institutions;
- Knowledge of IOM’s regulations, policies and procedures preferred;
- Knowledge of International Public-Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and SAP highly desirable;
- Audit experience highly regarded;
- Knowledge of IOM accounting systems, software and procedures a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of any local language is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2:
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies - behavioural indicators level 2:
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.