Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an International non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in over 99 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. CRS works through local church and non-church partners to implement its programs, therefore, strengthening and building the capacity of these partner organizations is fundamental to programs in every country in which CRS operates. CRS re-established presence in Nigeria in 2000 and currently focuses on agriculture, health and emergency programming.
Project Manager, Caritas Germany
Program Manager – Borno, PMB311018
Reports To: CRS Partnership and Capacity Strengthening Program Manager
Country/Location: Nigeria/Maiduguri, Borno State
Full Job Link can be found HERE
Project Background:CRS has secured funding from Caritas Germany to implement a 3 year project Cash-Based Assistance for Conflict-Affected Households in the Lake Chad Basin – Nigeria. For Nigeria, Caritas Germany has entered into a bilateral agreement with Caritas Nigeria for achievement of Strategic Objective 1 - Crisis affected populations meet the priority needs for their Households and CRS for S02 - CBOs/FBOs have improved capacity to implement high quality, timely Cash Transfer Programs meeting the needs of crisis-affected populations. Caritas Germany has also entered into similar agreements with CRS Chad, Caritas Chad and Caritas Cameroon. Specifically, CRS Nigeria will work with Caritas Nigeria, including JDPC Maiduguri, to strength the capacity of Caritas Nigeria in emergency programming with an emphasis on cash transfer programming.
Job Summary:The successful candiddate will support programming and implementation of Cash-Based Assistance for Conflict-Affected Households in the Lake Chad Basin – Nigeria advancing Catholic Relief Services’ (CRS) work in serving the poor and vulnerable. Your skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its programming.
Key Job Responsibilities:
Program Quality and Implementation
- Oversee and ensure the successful implementation of the program, in adherence with donor requirement.
- Ensure quality and timely implementation of the project against set objectives, targets and work plans.
- Support teams and partners in the development of DIPs and M&E components linked to SO2.
- Ensure DIP includes both programming events, as well as all management quality focused partner capacity strengthening events.
- Help assess and strengthen partnerships relevant to Cash Tranfser Programming within an emergency context, applying appropriate application of partnership principles, concepts, tools and approaches.
- Support programming of all activities throughout relevant project cycles - project design, start-up, implementation and close-out - to ensure efficient and effective implementation in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor requirements, and good practices.
- Ensure the project utilizes best practices, policies and guidelines consistent with humanitarian principles and SPHERE Standards.
- Actively support project activities through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Coordinate the identification of technical assistance needs of partners and capacity strengthening and required interventions to support quality project implementation.
- Analyze and evaluate project performance data following MEAL policy.
- Proactively identify issues and concerns and use participatory processes to overcome obstacles.
- Manages project budget in compliance with donor guidelines and policies.
- Ensure robust financial and monitoring and evaluation systems are in place for high quality programming.
Reporting, Institutional Learning, Documentation and Sharing
- Compile field-based reports to CRS and external donors.
- Identify, document and lead any efforts to document best practices and lessons learned from the project for organizational learning and donors.
- Take the lead in the completion of success stories and case studies – modify as needed based on intended audience.
- Integrates best practices from the project into CRS emergency programming.
Capacity Building and Supervision
- Support the capacity building of partners staff through on-job training, targeted technical guidance, coaching, mentoring, accompaniment and regular field visits.
- Support the development of partner capacity building plans and strategies.
- Ensure completion and dissemination of reports/documentation of relevant partnership inititaives in keeping with established requirements.
- Coordinate and monitor financial and material resources relevant to project needs.
- Through planning and oversight ensure efficient use of project resources.
- Remain current on agency guidelines, learning inititaives and policies related to capacity strengthening.
- Identify and coordinate relevant training events for CRS and partner staff to advance knowledge and skills cash transfer programming within an emergency context including project reflections, learning assessments, planning and facilitation guides.
Coordination and Representation
- Ensure effective coordination with CRS internal and partner staff and provide frequent feedback and updates.
- Manage relationships with key stakeholders and potential collaborators for cash transfer programming within an emergency context.
- Champion learning and collaboration with other project teams, partners, other Country Programa and CRS HQ
Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master's Degree in International Development, International Relations or in the field of Cash Transfer Programming required
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant field-based experience in coordinating or managing light to moderately complex projects required, preferably with an international NGO.
- Additional experience may substitute for some education.
- Project management experience in Cash Transfer Programming
- Experience engaging with partner organizations and building partner capacity. MEAL skills and experience preferred.
- Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
- Able to communicate in English Language (speaking and written) is mandatory.
- Able to speak in Hausa and or Kanuri is an additional advantage.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment.
- Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports.
- Proactive, results and service-oriented.
Required/Desired Foreign Language: Hausa or Kanuri
Travel Required: Approximately 20%
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: FFP & ECHO Program Manager, Emergency Coordinator, MEAL Coordinator, Finance and Operations Staff.
External: Partner staff, relevant stakeholders
Method of Application
Use the email(s) below to apply.
- Project Manager, Caritas Germany - firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested candidates should download the CRS Application Form using the link, fill and send with a detailed resume as one document in pdf indicating position being applied for and the Job Ref Code as the subject of the application
Completed applications are to be sent to the relevant emails. Deadline for submission is COB (i.e. 5:00pm), November 14, 2018.
Equal Opportunity:“CRS is an equal –opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, etc.Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply”.
Statement of Commitment to Protection:
‘’CRS’ recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation’’