African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Conference and Meetings Technology and Facilities Officer - PSEG.1
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50066210
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Divisions, including Office of the President; the Independent Development Evaluation Department; the Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; the Compliance Review and Mediation Department; the Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; the Administrative Tribunal; the Office of the Auditor General; the Group Risk Management Function Directorate; the General Counsel and Legal Services Department; the Communication and External Relations Department; the Ethics Office, and the Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The role of the Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat (PSEG) is to facilitate the delivery of the objectives of the Bank's Ten Year Strategy, the High 5s, and the Development and Business Delivery Model by enhancing the decision-making process of the governance organs, and forging better working relationships with the shareholders and host countries of the Bank. PSEG comprises:
- The Front Office of the Secretary General (PSEG.0) which has the additional responsibility of managing the Records Management and Archives Section and a Conferences and Meetings Section (DAI);
- A Board Affairs and Proceedings Division (PSEG.1); and
- A Protocol, Immunities and Privileges Division (PSEG.2)
The Conference and Meetings Section is in charge of the planning and organizing various meetings and events, including:
- Sessions of the Boards of Governors and its subsidiary bodies (Annual Meetings of the Bank Group, including meetings of the Governors Advisory Committee (GAC), the Joint Steering Committee (JSC), the Office of the Boards of Governors (OBG), the Committee on Conditions of Service of Elected Staff and the Steering Committee for the Election of the President);
- Consultative meetings of the plenipotentiaries on ADF replenishments and mid-term reviews; the Boards of Directors and their Committees (CODE, AMBD, CAHR, ECAM, AUFI, ANRE, Plenary Committee of the Budget and Ethics Committee);
- Meetings organized in partnership with other institutions, at the Bank or outside the Bank. Example: joint AfDB/WB/IMF or AfDB/ECA/AU meetings;
- International meetings whose agenda deals with issues related to the Bank's mission.
- He/she will also be responsible for the organization, installation and management of the technology and equipment required for conference and meeting facilities in all conference and meeting rooms, including Board rooms and specific areas at Headquarters, in the directorates-general and in the country offices.
- He/she will assess and deploy conference facilities in countries hosting the Annual Meetings and Replenishments meetings of the Fund.
Specific Accountabilities of the Function:
- Ensure adequate technical planning, preparation, organization and technical coverage of statutory and non-statutory events organized by the Bank.
- Define and draft the technical specifications for bid invitations to acquire the technology and equipment required for conference and meeting facilities at a meeting or conference room of the Bank Group;
- Define the technical specifications of additional equipment rented from technical service providers in conferences and meetings, and coordinate the facilities in accordance with Bank needs;
- Follow up on maintenance contracts for meeting rooms at Headquarters and Directorates General;
- Coordinate ongoing controls to ensure that equipment in conference and meeting facilities in Bank Group meeting rooms operate correctly.
- Work closely with the Bank's technical departments to implement joint technology projects and manage contracts.
- Maintain inventory, and equipment and administrative management of the Bank's conference and audiovisual infrastructure.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the responsibility of the Conference and Meetings Coordinator, and under the direct supervision of the Chief of Technology and Infrastructure of Conferences and Meetings, the Conference and Meetings Technology and Facilities Officer will work with members of the Division and in close collaboration with the Bank's technical departments, so that the Bank Group's conference and meeting rooms meet the pre-established technical standards and optimal conditions, with a view to continually improving the meeting environment.
The duties of the incumbent will be to assist the Chief Conference and Meetings Technology and Facilities Officer with technical, logistical and administrative aspects of the conference and meeting rooms, including:
- Assist in establishing the work programme and the annual objectives of the team in charge of the technology and the facilities of conferences and meetings, and defining needs to draft the technical budget.
- Monitor compliance with established rules and provide support and guidance to ensure objectives are achieved and technical service quality standards of technology and conference infrastructure and other technological tools are met.
- Manage technical projects relating to conference facilities in close collaboration with the Bank's technical departments, for example by preparing business specifications for the technical files on bid invitations to procure technology and equipment for conferences and meetings.
- Define the technical specifications, based on user needs, of material for a given event and the information needed to order from the equipment rental providers.
- Identify and prepare rooms for high-level conferences and meetings organized by the Bank at Headquarters and outside the Headquarters, and ensure the daily availability of technical and multimedia services (PowerPoint presentation and video conference) as well as interpretation services.
- Assist in technical projects, the design of feasibility studies and requirements analyses to justify and support the acquisition and use of new equipment to improve the technical resources available in different Bank Group meeting rooms.
- Ensure all Board proceedings and certain meetings are recorded and archived; classify and monitor records of each control room; provide ongoing technical support for formal and informal Board meetings and any formal meetings held within and outside the Bank.
- Manage the stock of spare equipment and perform level-1 or-2 equipment maintenance in conference facilities and meetings.
- Identify, assess and develop technology-based solutions that enable the General Secretariat to provide better service to customers; keep abreast of technological developments.
- Prepare monthly reports on the technical team’s activities in order to provide the Conferences and Meetings section with the information required to adapt its policy with a view to improving the Bank Group's meeting rooms and spaces.
- Manage daily technical activities.
- Perform all administrative tasks requested by superior officers.
Including desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience:
- Hold at least a Computer Engineering, Electronics Engineering or equivalent technical Degree in a related discipline; additional training in conference and meetings technology and facilities would be a plus.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in the field of technology, project management planning, procurement of goods and services and maintenance of technical equipment, including coordination of technical facilities in an international and multicultural institution.
- Possess the ability to work under pressure and sometimes beyond normal hours.
- Possess skills in technology and particularly in the field of conference and meeting facilities.
- Possess knowledge in procurement of goods and services, and a sound command of computer analysis procedures and technical assistance for users.
- Possess sound analytical and writing skills, ability to work autonomously and resourcefully, and take initiatives.
- Ensure that customers are prioritized in all interactions.
- Possess the ability to apply technical knowledge to solve problems and to identify lasting technical solutions.
- Monitor developments in conference and meeting infrastructure technology.
- Ability to communicate effectively in both written and spoken English or French with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Proficiency in the use of common Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint); knowledge of SAP (or another integrated document management system or quantitative and qualitative data analysis tools) is an added advantage.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.