African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (M&E) - CDSF
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50098490
- The Vice Presidency for ‘Power, Energy, Climate and Green Growth’ is a Sector Complex focusing on the Bank’s Ten Years Strategy, High 5s priority of “Light up and Power Africa”.
- The complex’s objectives are (i) to develop policy and strategy; (ii) to provide deep sector technical expertise to the Regions by gathering pool of experienced individuals who can be consulted for their expertise on complicated transactions; (iii) to develop new financing instruments; (iv) to act as spokesperson to represent the Bank with external stakeholders on all aspects of “Light Up and Power Africa”.
- The Complex will focus on areas of Power systems, policy and regulation, renewable energy; and, Climate and Green Growth.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The ClimDev-Africa Special Fund (CDSF) pools resources to contribute to sustainable development and, in particular poverty reduction by preparing and implementing climate-resilient development programs that mainstream climate change information at all levels in Africa and to strengthen the institutional capacities of natural and sub-regional bodies to formulate and implement effective climate-sensitive policies.
- CDSF forms one of the three elements of ClimDev-Africa Program, the others being African Climate Policy Center at UNECA, the Climate Change and Desertification Control Unit at the AUC.
- The AfDB manages the CDSF in close collaboration with the other pan-African institutions, the AUC and the UNECA.
- ClimDev-Africa Program Steering Committee (CDSC) provides the general policy direction and technical oversight over the CDSF.
- The Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (M&E) will be responsible for monitoring and evaluation related activities for the ClimDev Africa Programme (CDA), the ClimDev Africa Special Fund (CDSF) and all projects implemented under the Programme and Fund, in accordance with the existing Results Logical Frameworks.
- The incumbent will work as part of the CDSF team under the supervision and guidance of the CDSF Coordinator, within the Department of Climate Change and Green Growth (PECG) at the African Development Bank (AfDB).
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the CDSF Coordinator, in collaboration with the Project Task Managers, the Senior Monitoring & Evaluation Officer will be responsible for execution of the following activities with the associated deliverables:
- Lead development of and oversee the review of CDA programme and CDSF’s project level Monitoring &Evaluation (M&E) plans and associated work plans,
- Develop TORs for M&E tasks within CDA Programme, CDSF Projects, and Partner projects (e.g. the design of surveys, evaluations, mid-term and final evaluation), etc. using a combination of quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Responsible for sourcing data and information for specific M&E needs directly from other bank departments or outside agencies etc (such as budgets, staff capacity and other internal data) particularly for indicators not requiring a survey.
- Support technical work such as reviewing M&E methods, carrying out training needs, designing M&E tools and advising M&E technical assistance.
- Oversee and participate in evaluations and assessments.
- The M&E Specialist may also serve as team member of selected evaluations conducted by the PECG Department or the Bank.
- Ensure quality control of M&E outputs (e.g. surveys etc), including by contributing substantively to the design and field testing of the monitoring methodology, review, supervise design and implementation of the survey, participatory data collection methods and protocols, data verification techniques, and other technical evaluation and analytical tasks conducted under this contract.
- Closely cooperate and coordinate with communication specialist for the design, quality, development and completion of all assessments, analytical reports, case studies, success stories.
- Review and provide advice related to log frames and indicators on proposals submitted by applicants.
- Ensure the incorporation of information on CDA programme level indicators into CDSF reports as well as Project level Reports and provide recommendations to the CDSF;
- Develop and maintain a detailed M&E database for the projects and contribute to the maintenance of a database of CDA programme.
- Ensure mentoring and training of project teams to foster capacity building on M&E knowledge;
- Support monitoring and evaluation missions commissioned by partner agencies.
- Serve as focal point for providing M &E inputs on Implementation Progress Reports (IPRs); Prepare and submit M&E inputs as per the Results Framework to the consolidated trimester/ annual project implementation progress reports meeting the deadline as per the requirement of projects and the Bank;
- Accomplish other tasks related to, monitoring and evaluation as per programme needs and as assigned by the CDSF Coordinator.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Master's degree or its equivalent in environmental science, natural resource management or related field combined with extensive experience in similar responsible position in Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation.
- At least five (5) years of work experience in a field related to rural development, livelihoods, agriculture promotion, and planning or project management.
- Experience in results and evaluation design and implementation at the programme level.
- Willingness to undertake regular field visits in different conditions.
- Excellent technical skills in Climate Change, socio-economic research and program and project performance assessment.
- Experiences in creating and managing results frameworks and leveraging data for improving ongoing project management are under consideration
- Strong communication and facilitation skills and ability to establish good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders in a sensitive environment.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and motivational skills and sensitivity to the local environment as well as the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent data analytical skills and interpretation. She/he must have ability to write clearly and concisely, and have sound quantitative skills (managing, analyzing and interpreting data).
- Experience on planning, monitoring and evaluation of climate-based projects.
- Broad knowledge and understanding of adaptation to climate change and building resilience would be a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft packages (MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Excel), GIS and SPSS is an asset.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.