African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Case Management and Advisory Services Officer - BCRM
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50093582
- The President, plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including Office of the President (PRST0); Independent Development Evaluation Department (BDEV); Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); Compliance Review and Mediation Unit (BCRM); Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board (BSAB); Administrative Tribunal (BATR); Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH) and Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG).
The Hiring Department
- The Compliance Review and Mediation (BCRM) is the organizational unit that administers the Independent Review Mechanism (IRM) whichis one of the accountability instruments of the AfDB. The mandate of the IRM is to handle complaints submitted by people who are adversely affected by any of the Bank Group financed public or private sector operations due to the Bank non-compliance with its own safeguards policies and procedures.
- The main functions of the IRM are compliance review (investigation), problem-solving (mediation), advisory services, outreach, capacity building and knowledge management. The compliance review and the problem-solving are client-oriented. The objective of these functions is to redress harm caused to people and the environment by any Bank financed project, and to bring this project into compliance with the applicable Bank policies and procedures.
- The advisory function is institutionally oriented. It is divided into spot-check advisory review of project compliance and advisory services. It aims to enhance the institutional learning process and the culture of operations compliance and accountability across the Bank organizational structure.
- The Case Management and Advisory Services Officer will provide support to the Director of BCRM in the registration and management of incoming Requests, and in the delivery of BCRM’s advisory services in line with the Officer’s duties and responsibilities described below.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director of BCRM, the Case Management and Advisory Services Officer will:
- Monitor on a daily basis the BCRM complaint e-mail accounts and the Requests sent through regular mail services;
- File incoming Requests both on hard and electronic files and immediately submit the received Requests to the Director and the staff of BCRM;
- Create and manage the register of Request for incoming complaint (s);
- Screen whether the complaint falls within the mandate of the IRM in line with the IRM Operating Rules and Procedures;
- Coordinate the BCRM Director referral of complaints to other mandated Bank departments; and ensure the referral decision is communicated to the complainant (s).
- Compile and consolidate all records of project (s) subject of complaint (s) (for e.g., appraisal reports, loan agreements, and Environmental and Social Impact Assessment documents).
- Prepare a summary of status of project implementation and relevance of issues raised by the complaint (s).
- Consolidate BCRM staff input and prepare the Notice of Registration of the Requests for consideration by the Director of BCRM;
- Coordinate the translation of the Notice(s) of Registration of Complaint (s) and their distribution to Management, President and the Boards of Directors;
- Follow up to ensure the Management Responses to the Complaints are received within the stipulated timelines indicated in the Notice of Registration;
- Organize meetings andfollow up with formal correspondences of the Director with Management, the President and the Boards of Directors throughout the Requests registration and handling process;
- Coordinate the communications of the Director of BCRM with the Requestors and sponsors of projects subject of complaint (s) (for e.g., government agencies, private sector companies, Bank country offices .etc.…); and
- Update files/templates/Register of Requests of both registered and unregistered Requests and consolidate semi-annual/and annual reports on status of Request handling including statistical data, graphical charts and appendices. In addition, prepare briefs on the status of new caseload as well as the overall volume of Requests (registered and unregistered) with clear justification and supporting records.
BCRM Advisory Services:
- Provide research support to the Director of BCRM in compiling and analysing projects’ data and consolidating BCRM staff input in preparation of IRM advisory notes;
- Follow up with the translation of advisory notes and submission of these notes to Management, the President and the Boards of Directors;
- Prepare templates for all requests received from Bank staff seeking BCRM independent opinions and advisory services on projects related issues, including screening these projects to determine whether they are subject to any complaints registered or handled by BCRM or other Independent Accountability Mechanisms (IAMs) of sister Multilateral Development Banks.
- Distribute the BCRM advisory notes to Management and across the organizational structure.
- Coordinate with BCRM Senior Outreach, Communication and Knowledge Management Officer in the dissemination of the advisory notes to Bank’s Regional Hubs and Country Offices;
- Prepare statistical data and graphical charts with regard to all advisory services provided by BCRM on quarterly and annual basis.
IRM Lessons Learned:
- Provide research support to the BCRM Director in preparation of CODE (Operations Effectiveness Board Committee) semi-annual reports on lessons learned from the IRM work including compiling and analysing data from Requests and other IAMs lessons;
- Consolidate lessons learned from IRM problem solving and compliance review functions including relevant monitoring reports;
- Coordinate distribution of the lessons learned to Boards of Directors and Management when necessary;
- Prepare templates and charts on trends, indicators, and results of IRM lessons learned;
- Create a database for lessons learned from closed Requests and IRM annual reports;
- Prepare charts, statistics and analytical tables and texts on lessons learned which should be posted on IRM website, and to be used in IRM Annual Reports, knowledge products, and for the Director’s meetings with CODE, Bank and the IAMs.
- Coordinate meetings with Management and Bank Staff for dissemination of lessons learned.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master's Degree in Business Management, International Development Studies, or other relevant disciplines.
- Have a minimum of four (4) years of progressive relevant experience in operations and preferably experience with international organizations.
- Experience with an International organization or MDBs is desirable.
- Experience with working with other international accountability mechanism functions will be an added advantage.
- Experience in generating and interpreting data/statistics for use in reports.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Experience and commitment to search for and produce innovative and creative approaches to activities in order to enhance performance and create added benefits to the Bank and its clients.
- A track record of providing clear and concise oral and written communication;
- Experience and ability to assess documents to come up with sound actions.
- Proven research abilities and analytical skills.
- Strong organizational skills and attentiveness to details.
- Ability to manage multi-task duties under pressure.
- Ability to present information orally with clarity and appropriate style and adapting language and style to suit the requirements of a particular audience. Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Experience working in client oriented environment/ function that ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipate client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible services from the Bank.
- Ability to work with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, sharing the knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to creation of a positive team environment.
- Commitment to ensure that full use is made of the systems, procedures and culture within the organization in order to deliver the required results
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft Office Suite applications; knowledge of SAP is an added advantage.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: This position is classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.