Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Nutrition Survey Expert
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
About the Program
Action Against Hunger has been operational in Nigeria since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience. The main objectives of the country program are:
- To continue building on Action Against Hunger’s reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in the high caseload Northern Nigeria States and build evidence from out pilot projects to influence policy makers to find long lasting solutions to under nutrition and hunger,
- To respond to the dire humanitarian situation created by the devastating conflict on-going in the North East while applying, where possible, attempts to find durable solutions in line with the New ways of Working and Humanitarian Development Nexus.
With a central office in Abuja and 3 main field office across the North, Action Against Hunger runs intervention in 3 States of Northern Nigeria including two States affected by the on-going conflict. We have a country team of around 550 staff (45 international) and a budget for 2018 projected at 50 M US$. Our main donors and partners in Nigeria include USAID/OFDA & FFP, DFID, ECHO, EU EDF, AFD, UNICEF, SIDA, SDC and GAC.
You’ll Contribute to Ending World Hunger By:
- Supporting the implementation and coordination of SMART surveys in Borno and Yobe states. This position is based in Maiduguri, Nigeria.
Key Activities in your Role will Include:
Build up an AAH team and Coordinate the implementation of planned nutrition SMART surveys in the targeted areas:
- Identification and design of surveys activities according to needs/pre-decided work plans and capacities that include SMART survey methodology and other nutrition surveys if needed.
- Supervise the collection and documentation of background and general information and contextual information relevant to the survey.
- Ensure the scientific quality of the Survey and according to the need of the surveys, organize field officers access to books, reports, key informants interviews, local authorities, etc.
- Encouraging and facilitating an integrated approach to survey assessments in coordination with the M&E and the technical Coordination team.
- In coordination with the PM and the technical team, coordinate and lead the survey design: initial planning, selection of tools and methods, sampling, writing guidelines and set up time frame, working days needed, budget and logistics planning and any special tools and equipment needed.
- Lead the survey team in data collection (following designed methodology), data entry, analysis and processing of information (ENA for SMART, SPSS, Epi Info, Ms Excel etc.).
- Produce survey analysis and reports and guaranty the quality of the final survey report, recommendations and the integrated collaboration with other ACF technical departments for contextual information.
- To write quality technical reports for external release – i.e. nutrition surveys, rapid assessments, and coverage survey, ACF training sessions and/or workshops.
- To disseminate findings among stakeholders, including SMoH, Nutrition Sector coordination team, Key partners, ACF teams, etc.
Supporting and effectively manage surveys, teams and internal coordination:
- Managing all aspects of the Nutrition survey from planning, logistics, budgeting, team recruitment, training, in coordination with the Regional Nutrition and health Regional Coordinator and ACF concerned staff.
- Managing Field work, quality of the survey, analysis and the report writing to finalization.
- Management and Supervision of the survey/assessment teams including: induction, follow up, evaluation, and promotion of positive team dynamics and motivation.
- Recruiting, Training and building of technical capacity of the surveys’ team.
- Collaborate with health authorities and Nutrition implementing partners via the Regional Nutrition and Health Coordinator.
- Follow up of the budget allocated to survey activities in liaison with Administration/Finance Arrangement and Follow up of the logistics requirements of the surveys' team with the Logistics Department and relevant Field Coordinators, Program managers...
- Providing outcome/impact analysis information of the programs through the survey findings.
- Participate in the program strategy, narrative and financial project proposals
- Providing Survey department update in the Nutrition technical monthly report.
- Analysing the backup survey as and when required by the programs.
To plan, support and follow up on capacity development of the field teams (including both AAH and SMoH staff) in nutrition assessment:
- Define a training development plan for the Survey team on SMART surveys.
- Recruit, train and build technical capacity of the surveys’ team in collaboration with the Sector Managers.
- Support to supervision of the surveys’ team including: induction, follow up, evaluation, and promotion of positive team dynamics and motivation.
- Train and support the AAH Survey Officers and relevant staff (not exhaustive) on follow up of the budget allocated to survey activities in liaison with Administration/Finance, arrangement and Follow up of the logistics requirements of the surveys' team with the Logistics Department and relevant Field Cos
- To provide simplified trainings on the SMART survey methodology and findings for general understanding to the program teams, M&E teams, and sectors partners
- Liaising with relevant ministries and stakeholders to identify survey training needs and develop appropriate funding proposals in coordination with the line managers.
- Support ACF Nutrition and Health Sectors Managers and Nutrition teams on implementation of the survey recommendations/reforms.
- Planning and facilitating technical capacity building and training sessions for the government ministries and partner NGOs/UN agencies staff/cluster members as and when required.
To appropriately represent ACF and coordinate externally:
- Representation of ACF as and when directed by the technical line manager and/or prepare related material to be presented to internal and external audience (such as presentation of survey methodology, plan, and finding results to the sector technical working group).
- In collaboration with the Regional Nutrition and Health coordinator, ensure proper coordination with the Nutrition Sector, SMoH and/or other line ministries for the implementation of survey activities.
- Ensuring that all internal/external coordination to be done in a culturally appropriate, honourable and respectful manner.
- To arrange the work plans/field work in accordance to the safety and security procedures of ACF Nigeria.
To produce timely and quality reports:
- Support and provide technical back stopping to the M&E and program teams during the completion of the monthly reports, specifically those linked to nutrition and health in the project areas.
- Ensure that reports on any training session and/or workshop organized by the Health and Nutrition and the current Grant is documented and disseminated widely as per the ACF procedures.
- Ensure that all technical reports for external release are validated by relevant line Managers including the Regional Nutrition and Health Coordinators, Nutrition and Health HOD, DCD program, Technical Advisor.
- Contribute to the donors reports: interim and final reports as required.
Does This Description Fit You?
- Master's degree in Statistics, Epidemiology, Nutrition by Research or related field
- At least 3 years of proven experience in Managing Health and Nutrition projects, research and surveys as well as humanitarian work.
- Strong understanding of nutrition information and surveillance system, monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in nutrition program management in emergency set-up including proposal writing, project budget management, reporting and training provision.
- Knowledge of LQAS, SLEAC, SQUEAC, CSAS and KAP methodologies will be of added value.
- Flexibility personality and good negotiation skills
- Willing for frequent travel to mentor and monitor activities.
- Excellent knowledge of SMART survey methodology
- Excellent Writing and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good management and representation competencies
- Excellent in influencing and negotiation skills
- An internationally recognized SMART survey trainer
- Easily acculturate with remote areas living conditions.
Action Against Hunger values its employees and offers a comprehensive remuneration and benefits package. These include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance
- Paid annual leave (vacation)
- Training opportunities
- For an all-inclusive list of benefits check the Action Against Hunger Website.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.