African Development Bank Group (AfDB) - Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
Senior Editor/Writer (French) - PCER.1
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50071286
- The President plans, supervises and manages the business of the Bank Group. Under the direction of the Boards of Directors, the President conducts the business of the Bank and the African Development Fund and manages operations and activities in accordance with the Agreements establishing the African Development Bank and the African Development Fund.
- The President supervises several Departments and Units including the Office of the President; Independent Development Evaluation Department; Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department; Compliance Review and Mediation Unit; Secretariat to the Sanctions Appeals Board; Administrative Tribunal; Office of the Auditor General; Group Risk Management Directorate; General Counsel and Legal Services Department; Communication and External Relations Department; Staff Integrity and Ethics Office and Office of the Secretary General and General Secretariat.
The Hiring Department/Division
- The purpose of the Communication and External Department is to plan, prepare and implement public relations and institutional communication programs designed to make the Bank better known by its various audiences so as to promote social and economic development in Africa, and to establish and maintain the Bank’s credibility and good reputation as Africa’s leading development finance institution.
- The Department is also responsible for enabling the Bank to understand better, how the institution is perceived both internally and externally.
- Under the general guidance and supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations - PCER.1, the incumbent will implement editing guidelines within PCER.1, as well as define an editorial policy for the Bank.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, Communication and External Relations - PCER.1, the Senior Editor/Writer (French) has the following responsibilities:
- Research, write, and edit content for online and external publications that reflects current African Development Bank practice and is of the quality and scope that meets the objectives of the Bank’s external and internal stakeholders.
- Edit and substantively re-edit copy from Bank departments, rewrite materials, including web copy for grammatical accuracy, adherence to Bank style and policy, purposeful structure, clarity of ideas and logical, persuasive presentation of content according to subject matter, product plan, and target audience.
- Coordinate multiple contributions by teams/units on major initiatives, obtain clearances, and make other changes, particularly on sensitive issues.
- Interview experts and conduct research as well as write and analyse a diverse and broad range of material.
- Assign editorial and writing tasks and projects as required to meet deadlines.
- Read and approve all content - notices, reports, PR’s etc. to be published on behalf of the Bank in a timely manner.
- Ensure all information is accurate before publishing, whether it is written or visual content, to prevent copyright infringements (e.g. plagiarism and ghostwritten content) and discard any misrepresentation or defamation.
- Crosscheck quotes and examine references.
- Assist with training and supervise new staff.
- Support and mentor colleagues in relation to writing, maintain content and answer questions from stakeholders, including through sub-editing.
- Keep up-to-date with all relevant African Development Bank developments so that all content for which he/she is responsible reflects and takes account of current practice.
- Develop relationships with external sources as required with a view to obtaining contributions for stories and other content or improving content through third party insights.
The staff will equally undertake the following duties:
- Ensure that the quality and accessibility of information on the Bank’s sites is consistent with the image of the Bank as the leading development institution in Africa and its global role as a development organization. In this regard, the incumbent will ensure that the information posted and published is timely, accurate and conforms to the Bank’s information disclosure policy and editorial policy.
- Ensure that all information from organizational units is reviewed, edited and posted on the Internet web platform and other designated channels.
- Proactively seek content creation and information organization in various formats.
- Ensure that French versions of texts are a faithful representation of English original texts and vice-versa.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master's degree or equivalent in Journalism, Communications, International Relations, Public Affairs, Marketing, Political Science or other related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant and progressive experience at an international level or multi-dimensional development institution, two (2) of which should be in an editorial role.
- Outstanding writing and verbal skills, particularly the ability to synthesize complex messages and tailor them into simple, clear and non-academic language for different audiences.
- Excellent command of English; ability to write strong copy and produce well-written press releases, feature articles, and publications.
- Experience writing in both non-technical and highly technical styles.
- Experience working with or in developing countries.
- Excellent collaboration skills with an ability to lead without being authoritarian.
- Mind set for learning, innovation and high standards of quality.
- Experience working on entrepreneurship ecosystems and climate change technologies.
- Experience working with corporate, multilateral development institutions or non-profits is preferred.
- Detail oriented and excellent follow-through skills.
- Complete assigned tasks in a timely manner with little supervision.
- Ability to effectively work under pressure on multiple projects simultaneously while meeting tight deadlines.
- Communication - provides clear and concise oral and written communications; presents oral information with clarity and appropriate style, and adapts language and style to suit the requirement of a particular audience.
- Problem Solving - Applies business knowledge to the resolution of problems and identifies solutions to the benefit of the client (internal and external) and the organization.
- Client Orientation - Ensures that the client is considered to be of primary importance in all transactions and interactions. Strives to understand, and when appropriate, anticipates client needs, and ensures that the client receives the best possible service from the Bank.
- Team work and relationship - Works with others to maximize the effectiveness of the team as a whole, shares knowledge and workload. Develops strong working relationships with colleagues and contributes to the creation of a positive team environment.
- Ability to motivate a multicultural team of communications experts (staff or consultants).
- Ability to coordinate the work of several communications experts working on various and sometimes conflictual agendas.
- Proven ability to help find solutions to issues raised by communications experts.
- Strong decision-making skills.
- Excellent project and time management skills.
- Ability to coordinate multiple workflows between in-house communications experts and external service providers, consultants.
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, with a working knowledge of the other. Proficiency in both languages is an asset.
- Understanding of and experience with various media software tools.
- Competence in the use of standard Microsoft software (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.