The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation. We provide assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide.
What is NRC?
NRC promotes and protects the rights of refugees and people who have been displaced within their own country. We take action during situtations of armed conflict, and engage in other contextes where our competences will add value.
The majority of our 5000 staff members are national employees in NRC’s projects in around 25 countries worldwide. All our projects are supervised by the NRC Head Office in Oslo.
Livelihoods and Food Security Technical Assistant
Location Damask Application Link
Location BIU Application Link
Maidiguri Application Link
NRC is looking for a Livelihoods and Food Security Technical Assistant for our field office in Damasak - Borno State in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the Livelihoods and Food Security Technical Assistant is the day to day implementation of Livelihoods and Food Security irrigation component of the EU project in Damasak; Biu; Maiduguri; Dikwa and Monguno in Borno State
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
The Livelihoods and Food Security Technical Assistant reports to the Livelihoods and Food Security Officer.
Application Cover Letter Procedure: Kindly indicate position and location applied for as title of your Cover Letter. eg: "Livelihoods and Food Security Technical Assistant - Irrigation (Damasak)"
- Together with Livelihoods & Food security Officers, the Assistant will be responsible for the implementation of irrigation activities on the field – mobilization of communities, irrigation development assessments and monitoring of works.
- Carry out the selection of project beneficiaries
- Data collection for project monitoring and evaluation.
- Coordinate the food security activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about the activities
- Facilitate the distribution of materials and equipment according to procedures
- Prepare weekly progress reports and other documents as required
- B.Sc. Civil Engineering / Agricultural Engineering / Irrigation Engineering
- One-year experience in the NGO sector
- Experience as an Agricultural Extension Agent
- Knowledge of the context in Northeast Nigeria
- Experience from working in Food Security humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Some knowledge of English
- Civil engineering / construction
- Education title: Bachelors' degree in Civil Engineering / Agricultural Engineering / Irrigation Engineering
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Highest standard of ethics and integrity
- Handling insecure environment
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Communicating with impact and respect: All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: December 2018
- Duration: 12 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions (Grade Level 4 Step 1)
- Duty stations: Damasak; with 50% frequent travels. Travel outside duty stations is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected