Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
Deputy Logistics Manager
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
- The PUI Nigerian Mission has been officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities for Internally Displaced People (IDP) and host communities (HC), later adding Primary Health Care and Nutrition activities. This initial intervention was focused on populations living in MMC
- The progressive sectorial widening allowed to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in Bolori II in food security, livelihoods, nutrition and health, with the support of ECHO, FFP, OFDA and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy
- In 2018, PUI will further develop its comprehensive response by adding Outreach/Protection and WaSH to the existing country program in Bolori II, and will scale up its intervention with the opening of Kukawa LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community
- The same donors will support the 2018 intervention. In parallel, PUI is supporting the coordination mechanisms and is running the common logistics platform for all humanitarian actors funded by the logistics cluster (WFP) since 2016, and the partnership has been renewed to this date. PUI is now looking for a Deputy Logistics Manager for its Logistics department in Maiduguri.
- Under the direct supervision of the Logistics Manager, the Deputy Logistics Manager will ensure the smooth functioning of logistics at Maiduguri base level
- He/She will contribute in ensuring that the resources which are necessary for carrying out the programs are available.
Responsabilities and Tasks
Ensuring the Security of Goods and People:
- He/She ensures that the material and other resources at base level are sufficiently adapted to the safety management approach defined for the base.
- He/She participates in analyzing the base’s safety circumstances and conditions, alerts and issues recommendations to the Head of Mission concerning potential changes relating to risks as well as measures to be put in place.
- He/She communicates, on a regular basis, with the guards and the drivers concerning accidents, risks and behavior to be embraced (regular meetings and training if necessary).
Managing the Supply Chain of the Base:
- Under direct supervision of the logistics manager, He/She guarantees that purchase procedures are respected at base level. He/She works in close collaboration with the person requesting the purchase, with strong technical specificity, and carries out the appropriate conformity tests.
- He/She ensures that contracts signed are adequate in terms of effectiveness and protection of the PUI procedures.
- He/She centralizes and optimizes the grouping of purchase requests before sending it to the supply department.
- He/She supervises the identification and referencing of suppliers and has detailed invoices for recurrent purchases at his/her disposal. He/She consolidates/updates the base price catalogue.
- He/She ensures that purchase files are correctly archived at base level.
- He/She chooses the mode of transport and the packaging of the merchandise in collaboration with the logistics coordinator.
- He/She plans and supervises the reception of materials from the coordination or other supply sites.
- He/she guarantees the management and monitoring of the base stock, according to the PUI’s procedures and tools. He/She ensures that these are known to and understood by everyone and are applied on the base.
- He/She ensures that stocking sites are appropriate to the base needs and that merchandise is stocked appropriately in terms of location, layout and salubriousness.
- He/She organizes fluxes in merchandise, makes sure that the goods received are of a certain quality and carries out physical checks of stocked merchandise. He/She is attentive to the use-by-date of products, if need be.
- He/She ensures the movement/transfer of documents is properly referenced. He/She checks stock reports on a monthly basis.
Managing the Base Assets: Computer and Telecommunication Equipment And Energy:
- He/She will defines the base technical needs and make sure that their funding is possible, especially when new projects are being planned.
- He/she issues technical recommendations on the choice of computer equipment, tele/radio communication equipment and energy supply to be validated by the logistics coordinator.
- He/She authorizes the use of equipment, create utilization procedures and train personnel on how to use them.
- He/She ensures the monitoring of equipment (state, location, proprietor/backer etc) through regular updates of monitoring tools (property list) and the keeping of physical inventories.
- He/She supervises the installation of equipment and ensure they run smoothly and are maintained and ensures any necessary repairs are duly carried out.
- He/She controls the consumption of equipment, if need be, and, if required, carries out necessary adjustments in accordance with utilization procedures
Managing the Base's Fleet:
- He/She defines transport means adapted to the needs of projects associated with the base and makes sure that the funding of this transport is possible, especially when new projects are being planned in direct collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator.
- He/She ensures that vehicles are monitored (state, location, proprietor/backer etc) and that monitoring tools are regularly updated.
- He/She ensures the vehicles are working properly, that they are properly maintained and any necessary repairs are duly carried out.
- He/She controls the use of vehicles and, if necessary, makes any necessary changes to utilization procedures. He/She ensures plans and monitoring tools for the management of missions are put in place and respected and that they are maintained through the use of log books.
- He/She makes sure, above all, that questions of safety relating to the utilization of vehicles (authorized people, exceptional circumstances, safety equipment etc.) are appropriately addressed.
- He/She contributes in centralizingmovement planning on weekly basis for all base movements and follows in-country flight movements
Ensuring the Circulation of Information, Co-ordination and Representation on Logistics Issues at Base Level:
- He/She ensures that logistics information is effectively circulated at base level
- He/She writes or participates in writing internal reports for everything concerning the logistics of the base.
- He/She participates to the financial and administrative management of his/her area of work. He/She makes sure that the budgetary allowance is respected in the logistics department and establishes regular cash-flow needs.
- He/She participates to the writing of reports for the donors (lists of equipment, checking functioning costs etc) and ensures the keeping of and the archiving of purchase files (help, equipment, location, omissions etc). He/She participates in the preparation of logistics in view of an audit which is either forthcoming or already underway.
- Externally, he/she represents the PUI among authorities at base level for any questions concerning logistics
- Externally, he/she develops and maintains relationships with partners, especially NGOs for any question relating to logistic
Supervising and Managing Logistics Teams:
- He/She supervises the whole of the logistics team at base level, directly or otherwise. He/She writes descriptions and carries out or delegates job interviews. He/She contributes to work meetings, mediates potential conflicts, defines priorities and plans activities.
- He/She participates to the recruitment of the logistics team at base level as well as in any decision to terminate an employment contract.
- He/She ensures and/or supervises continued training of local members of the logistics team who are in the base on the procedures and tools of PUI.
- He/She creates an action plan for the logistics department at base level in accordance with the objectives defined in the annual programming of the mission and by the logistics coordinator of the mission.
Qualifications and Requiered Skills
- Bachelor of Arts / Science or any other professional qualification.
- Minimum 2 years with INGO
Knowledge and Skills:
- Team Management
- Logistical skills
- Administrative and Management skills
- Knowledge of procedures: institutional donors (UE, OFDA, ECHO, AAP, UN agencies …)
- Computer skills
- Pack Office and any other software
- Transversals skills
- Ability to work independently while taking initiatives and showing a sense of responsibility
- Ability to withstand pressure and volatile environment
- Sense of diplomacy
- Analytical skills
- Capacity to adapt and organizational flexibility
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work and manage affairs professionally, and with maturity
- Ability to represent the activities and mandate of PUI before local authorities and suppliers
- Ability to work with different partners in a spirit of openness, and with adaptable communications strategiesExcellent communication, conflict solving and diplomacy skills to manage relationship in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and to exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements of the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check validity of information, logical thinking
Method of Application
Candidates should submit the following documents:
- Updated CV,
- Letter of Motivation,
- Copy of work certificates,
- Copy of relevant certificates
- Reference contacts.
Interested and qualified? Go to Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI) career website on forms.office.com to apply