At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights Sector Manager
location: Maiduguri, Borno
Type of Post: Unaccompanied
Expected Travel: up to 50%
- CARE has established a new Country Office in Nigeria with strategic representation in Abuja for engagement, coordination and advocacy. It also has Operational Offices in the Northeast to support its humanitarian assistance interventions in both Borno and Yobe States.
- CARE USA is implementing health programs, with a focus on sexual reproductive health and rights (SRHR) to address multiple challenges faced by women and young girls, such as sexual gender-based violence, child marriage, and teenage pregnancy, among others. To deliver such a program, CARE works in close partnership with several stakeholders including UNFPA, local concerned ministries, local partners and other peer agencies.
- CARE is seeking a SRHR Manager to set up related programming and operations, as well as to serve as CARE's representative for all SRHR-related activities within the UN system, the Ministry of Health and with other partners. The purpose of the position is to provide technical leadership and ensure CARE's programmatic expertise in SRHR (and particularly in crisis-affected settings) is translated to the Northern Nigeria context and that initial set-up of SRHR programming includes quality technical and operational foundations.
- The SRHR Manager is expected to facilitate development of quality, gender-sensitive, accountable, and impact-focus SRHR interventions in Nigeria. This includes provision of technical advice, capacity building of CARE staff and partners, as well as influencing policy and practice through analysis and advocacy with various stakeholders. The position will be based in Maiduguri and report directly to the Program Director.
- Information gathering, assessments, analysis and monitoring
- Program and strategy development support
- Monitoring, evaluation, accountability and reporting
- Partnership and capacity-building
- Coordination, representation, advocacy and learning
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Social Sciences, Gender and Development Studies or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- 5-7 years supporting health interventions in crisis-affected settings with a physical presence in insecure environments
- At least one year of support to an acute humanitarian crisis, especially large multi-sectoral projects, designing and appraising proposals and actively liaising with relevant and potential project partners
- Must possess skills in technical proposal writing, designing and implementing food security programmes
- Experience in coordinating and engaging with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated knowledge of gender issues in development, particularly GBV, including relevant international human rights standards
- Must possess knowledge of human rights, especially sexual reproductive rights and ability to apply human rights-based approach in programming
- Fluency in English with professional-level writing capacity
- Prior experience in INGOs working environment/system will be a strong asset
- Excellent written, oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Proficient analytical skills that demonstrate an understanding of the current concepts, priorities, and issues in programme monitoring, data collection and evaluation, highly desired.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to CARE career website on chp.tbe.taleo.net to apply