Laboratory Scientist at eHealth Systems Africa
Posted on: 11 October, 2018
Deadline: Not Specified
View Jobs in ICT / Telecommunication
View All Jobs at eHealth Systems Africa
eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
Department: eHA Clinic
Employment Type: Full-Time National Employee
Purpose of the Position
- The Laboratory Scientist will be expected to provide first-class services by applying skills and scientific knowledge to support accurate medical diagnoses and the well being of our patients.
- In this role, you will perform a variety of laboratory tests and procedures to assist in diagnosing, monitoring, treating and preventing disease.
What You’ll do
The Laboratory Scientist will work in the EHA clinic predominantly as stated below:
- You'll collect and analyze body fluids, tissue and other substances to determine normal or abnormal findings.
- You'll operate sophisticated equipment and instruments to identify the results. Both technicians and technologists perform tests and procedures that physicians or other healthcare personnel order.
- Maintains quality results by running standards and controls, verifying equipment function through routine equipment maintenance and advanced troubleshooting; calibrating equipment utilizing approved testing procedures; monitoring quality control measures and protocols.
- Identifies and communicates abnormal results by alerting supervisory personnel, the pathologist, the patient physician, or nurse.
- (Toxicology) identifies the presence or quantity of drugs of abuse, therapeutic drugs, and toxic substances by operating toxicology instrumentation and performing manual methods for the performance of drug screens, blood alcohol levels, and carbon monoxide levels.
- (Chemistry) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating chemistry equipment; performing hand chemistries.
- (Hematology) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating hematology, urinalysis, and coagulation equipment; performing manual methods of differentials.
- (Immunology) provides test results for patient diagnosis and treatment by operating equipment such as the gamma counter, spectrophotometer, densitometer, and through methods such as radioimmunoassay, enzyme immunoassay, and serological testing.
- (Microbiology) provides physician with information for treatment of patient infection by performing technical procedures for the identification or susceptibility of bacteria, parasites, fungi, and mycobacteria.
- (Blood bank) ensures the patient of receiving compatible blood/blood components by completing blood typing, antibody screening, compatibility testing, and antibody identification procedures.
- (Blood bank) assures future retrieval of patient transfusion information by preparing patient packets and maintaining blood bank database.
- Organizes work by matching computer orders with specimen labeling; sorting specimens; checking labeling; logging specimens; arranging reports for delivery; keeping work surfaces clean and orderly.
- Using a Lab Information Management System for specimen tracking, results en tray and reporting.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers by following established standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Maintains patient’s confidence by keeping laboratory information confidential.
- Serves and protects the Diagnostic firm by adhering to professional standards, laboratories policies and procedures, federal, state, and local requirements, and other pre-specified standards.
- Enhances laboratory services and laboratory reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time
Patient & Family Education/Support:
- Provide emotional support and measures to alleviate fear and anxiety.
- Assess patient and family readiness and identifying learning needs.
- Lead/encourage multidisciplinary approach for patient’s discharge.
- Develop and implement the teaching plan utilizing patient education manual.
- Document patient and family education.
- Participate in voluntary community health activities to promote, maintain and restore health and prevent diseases.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to EHA Clinic Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
Who You Are
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to successfully perform this job:
- A minimum Bachelor of Science degree in Laboratory Science from an accredited university.
- Minimum 3 years working experience in a Medical Laboratory, Clinic or hospital.
- Relevant Certifications will be an added advantage.
- Candidate must possess a Certificate of the Associate of the Institute of Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria (AMLSCN)
- Candidate must possess current practicing license.
- Good interpersonal skills and communication with a wide variety of patients, medical staff, and caregivers
- Strong computer skills, including Google Office Suite and other medical softwares.
- Compassionate and sensitive to patients’ needs and concerns
- Good Documentation and analyzing skills
- Good knowledge of Health Regulations, Creating and maintain a Safe & Effective Environment,
- Attention to details (Thoroughness)
Customer Service Requirements:
- Must have excellent customer service skills and communication skills
- Must be able to plan and perform daily activities in an organized manner.
- Must be kind, compassionate, dedicated and patient.
- Must have the ability to handle different kinds of emotions as well as manage on the job stress.
- Must be focused, very detailed and be creative in making decision.
- Must be physically and mentally stable to handle extended shifts as well as mental pressure and traumatic events.
- Must be able to review, analyze and respond to different situation they encounter daily.
- Must be able to think critically in adapting to change, judging situations and taking appropriate decisions.
- The EHA Clinic work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The EHA Clinic operation policy does not deprive employees from their fundamental human right.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear, sits; walk; stand; bend; The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop or knee sit and use a computer and reach with their hands and arms.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Recent Jobs from eHealth Systems Africa
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Pharmacist at eHealth Systems Africa
- Driver at eHealth Systems Africa
- Deputy Manager, Warehouse at eHealth Systems Africa
- Medical Doctor at eHealth Systems Africa
- Know More About eHealth Systems AfricaSimilar Jobs
- Medical Officer at Sigma Consult
- Stabilization Center Doctor at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Health Specialist, NO-3 at UNICEF
- Health and Nutrition Manager at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
- Residency Training Programme at Jos University Teaching Hospital
- Service/Quality Improvement Consultant (Non-Communicable Diseases -NCDs) at Jhpiego - John Hopkins University
- Consultant at University of Benin Teaching Hospital
- Senior Technical Officer - TB/HIV at AHNI