The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is the global humanitarian organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Through an international network, ADRA delivers relief and development assistance to individuals in more than 130 countries-regardless of their ethnicity, political affiliation, or religious association. By partnering with communities, organizations, and governments, ADRA is able to improve the quality of life of millions through 9 impact areas.
Senior Finance Manager
Location: Abuja and Maiduguri
The crisis in northeastern Nigeria is today one of the most precarious in the world. In the six affected states of Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, Bauchi, Gombe and Taraba, some 7.7 million people will need humanitarian aid in 2018. An estimated 3.9 million people are affected by food insecurity and more than 400,000 children suffer from severe acute malnutrition. Since August 2017, ADRA has been providing food and multifunctional cash to IDPs, returnees and host communities in LGA Konduga, Borno State, and LGA Hong, Adamawa State.
- The Senior Finance Manager will be based in the ADRA Nigeria HQ -Abuja Office in Abuja city. The position will require frequent travels to ADRA Nigeria field offices/sites outside Abuja in other states in Nigeria and might require some times long stay away from the head office.
- The Senior Finance Manager will typically report to the most senior head of Programs and will have a reporting relationship with the Country director’s office.
- S/he will be a supervisor of the finance operating team and shall form part of a finance team in a Country Office.
- He/she will provide general financial supervisory support in HQ and field offices.
- Depending on the size and needs of the office or unit, the job may cover all aspects of finance, budget, and administration, or it may emphasize finance or more of these aspects.
- The jobholder at this level operates with minimal supervision, and provides guidance to junior finance and programs staff to ensure that operation and project objectives are achieved.
- He/she will be heavily involved in day to- day activities and analytical work, and provide advice on less complex issues, applying rules and regulations and expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of activities and ensuring compliancy with emphasis on internal controls.
- To support the stewardship of ADRA Nigeria’s resources, monitoring budgets, forecasting, analyzing, reporting and providing core administrative and programmatic financial support to enable effective management of funds, and ensure assistance to beneficiaries is undertaken in the most efficient and effective way possible.
- Ensure proper financial operations and regulatory compliancy adherence for all the financial transactions made.
- Support corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating in planning and training finance and non-finance staffs where appropriate using finance management expertise.
- Contribute towards the development of country finance-specific plans and processes, aligned with donor requirements and wider ADRA Nigeria strategies, policies and processes to meet the humanitarian and development assistance needs.
- Analyze and report on key data for financial status and outcomes of projects in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes are complied with.
- Monitor and analyze budgets for new and ongoing activities according to established Organizational procedures and requirements.
- Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, and clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with organizational requirements.
- Where necessary, deliver core administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to ADRA Nigeria programmes.
- Collate and analyze data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting, in order to provide management with financial, accounting and budgetary information to enable them to make informed decisions.
- Track and analyze data to identify opportunities for improvements to policies, systems and procedures in order to minimize financial risks, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and ensure services are aligned with planned objectives.
- Deliver financial controls and insight into ADRA Nigeria performance, undertaking periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas, which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
- Guide and supervise junior finance staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Represent department at internal meetings, external meetings and events with other agencies, banks and other financial institutions, or other partners and entities as required.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to ensure ADRA Nigeria is able to quickly respond and deploy assistance and needed resources to affected areas at the onset of the crisis without compromising required minimum standards.
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognized professional accountancy body such as Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
- (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
- At least 5 years of progressive experience in financial management, budgeting and administrative functions.
- Several years of professional experience in the administration and management of co-financed projects for international (aid) organizations (including DG ECHO, German Federal Foreign Office, UN-institutions)
- Has experience reviewing and analyzing financial statements.
- Has experience implementing accounting and internal control processes, as well as risk management.
- Experience in designing and implementing compliance regulations
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Applications in English only, through: email@example.com
Note: For background checks - On your CV, please include three (2) professional references with their name, title, company, relationship to you, email address, and telephone number.