If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Blueprint Consult Company Limited - Our client, the West African Power Pool (WAPP), is an institution established by the mandate of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) to, among others, develop a sustainable regional electricity supply system in order to promote the economic growth of the ECOWAS sub region. To achieve this objective, there is the need for WAPP to establish a regional electricity market in West Africa through the appropriate development and implementation of key infrastructure so that all ECOWAS member states are given access to economic energy resources.
Blueprint Consult Company Limited, on behalf of WAPP, is recruiting for the key position of the implementation Management Unit (IMU) and invites qualified professional to submit their applications for consideration in the capacity below:
Senior Procurement Specialist
Location: IMU Head Office, Abuja, Nigeria
Project Name: Nigeria - Niger - Benin/Togo - Burkina (North Core) Interconnection Project
Employing Institution: Implementation Management Unit (IMU) of the North Core Project
Reports to: Director of IMU
Appointment: Full time, approximately 36 months
Language required: Proficiency in English and French
- Within the framework of the West African Power Pool (WAPP), the Governments of Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina are collaborating to develop a sub-regional interconnection project referred to as the 330 kV WAPP North Core Project. The project involves the construction of approximately 875 km of 330 kV transmission lines from Nigeria to Burkina Faso, through Niger, and Benin. The project will also involve the electrification of rural communities located within a 5 km radius on both sides of the line, and the implementation of a number of environmental and social mitigation measures. These include, among others, the implementation of Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) to provide for persons and communities affected by project implementation activities.
- The project is being financed by The Agence Française de Développement (AFD), African Development Bank (AfDB), European Union (EU) and the World Bank (WB).
- Given the regional dimension of the project, and in order to enhance its coordination, the Ministers in charge of Energy of the North Core countries agreed to put in place an institutional framework which includes the set up of an Implementation Management Unit (IMU) to, among others, assist in the preparation and physical implementation of the North Core project.
- The Senior Procurement Specialist will lead, manage, execute and coordinate tasks related to the procurement of goods, works and consulting services for the implementation of the Project and for the needs of the IMU.
- S/he will ensure that all project related procurement and contract management activities are performed in a fully professional, transparent, and ethical manner, and in line with procurement regulations and guidelines of the international financing agencies involved in the project.
- The job holder will be responsible for the coordination, preparation, monitoring and updating of the procurement plan. S/he will also act as Secretary to the Procurement Committee and Evaluation subcommittees.
The Senior Procurement Specialist shall be responsible for a minimum of the following key tasks:
- Plan, develop and manage all procurement and contractual activities relating to goods, works and consulting services and conduct all stages of the procurement process in close collaboration with all stakeholders;
- Advise the IMU on the full range of procurement issues including related risks and mitigation measures, and provide support and guidance at all stages of the procurement process;
- Provide input in the development of procurement documents during project preparation
- Maintain updated procurement plans of the project; highlighting significant changes and consequential cost deviations/variances;
- Periodically update key procurement documents where required ie. Procurement procedures manual
- Prepare/Review procurement documents), and provide input, where required, on specific procurement documents in collaboration with technical specialists of the IMU, Consultants and the Owner’s Engineer. I.e. tender documents, terms of reference, request for proposals;
- Support the contract manager in all aspects relating to procurement;
- Prepare procurement documents, communications, guidelines, instructions related to contract award processes.
- Take a lead role in the preparation of bidding documents/ request of proposals, evaluation of proposals (including pre-qualification of contractors), for goods, works and consulting services and, drafting of evaluation reports;
- Collaborate closely with the Owner’s Engineer in the supervision of the implementation of EPC contracts to ensure adherence to contractual provisions and provide input where necessary;
- Institute and maintain transparent and accessible records, in both hard and soft copy, of all tender documents, and communications up to the closure of contract files;
- Organize capacity building in procurement for IMU staff and other stakeholders;
- Participate in donor required supervision missions.
Qualification and Experience
The Senior Procurement Specialist must have a minimum of the following:
- Masters degree and above in Business Administration, Public Administration, Commerce, Economics, Engineering, Law or other related field;
- A minimum of ten (10) years of proven professional experience in procurement and administration in the public or private sector, of which at least five (5) years should be directly related to first-hand procurement and/or contracting experience with complex projects funded by multilateral institutions
- Professional training in Procurement is an advantage
- Training in Project Management is an added advantage
- Previous experience with EPC contracts in the power sector is an advantage
Excellent knowledge of the following relevant areas is required:
- Seasoned knowledge and specialized command of procurement policies and practices of multilateral developments banks, including new concepts under the World Bank and AfDB’s procurement regulations.
- Knowledge of and experience in all procurement categories (Goods, Works and Consulting Services );
- Experience in the power sector and/or regional projects will be an advantage.
Skills and Competencies
The following skills and competencies are required for effective performance:
- Resolute position on integrity and professional ethics
- Adaptability to diverse cultural and national complexities and ability to manage change
- Strong relationship building with internal and external clients and stakeholders as well as service providers at all levels.
- Excellent organizational skills and proven track record of working effectively with multidisciplinary teams, in a multicultural environment and under high pressure;
- Ability to focus on impact and results delivery; consistently showing a positive attitude to work with energy.
- Strong oral and written communications skills with a proven ability to convey information clearly and concisely;
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and critical thinking in the application of established policies, rules and procedures.
- Ability to use relevant computer software ( MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint )
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- The Senior Procurement Specialist will report to the Director of IMU and supervise a Junior Procurement Specialist.
- The job holder will maintain close collaboration with the IMU project team.
- The Senior Procurement Specialist will be resident at the Head Office of the IMU in Abuja (Nigeria) but may be required to undertake frequent field visits to the local offices of the IMU, project sites and field offices of the North Core project.
- A key requirement for the position is proficiency in English and French, particularly in reading and writing.
- The position of Senior Procurement Specialist is for a duration of approximately thirty six (36) months. This is a full time position and the jobholder must demonstrate the required dedication and commitment to achieving results.
- The responsibilities and tasks of the Senior Procurement Specialist will be executed within the office context. The jobholder may however, be expected to travel periodically to various locations within the project countries and/or beyond. The jobholder may also be required to perform duties outside of normal working hours, as necessary.
- The Procurement Specialist will prepare and submit activity reports at the end of each month, to the Director of the IMU for approval. The jobholder will also prepare various reports as required including procurement and contract management reports among others.
The following will be part of performance assessment criteria for the position:
- Timeliness and quality performance delivery with respect to core responsibilities as agreed upon with immediate Superior.
- Delivery of timely results that impact project schedules
- Quality of procurement record keeping
- Quality and timeliness of reports
- Compliance to procurement process documentation and chain of approvals
- Cost savings achieved on project choices set against best practice benchmarks.
- The performance of the Senior Procurement Specialist will be evaluated annually by the Director of the IMU, based on the above performance criteria, an annual work plan and deliverables agreed upon at the beginning of the appraisal period. Quarterly performance reviews will however, be conducted by the Director to facilitate the identification and prompt management of performance related issues.
- The jobholder is required to be fluent in French and English. Ability to use relevant computer software (MS Word, Excel, Power Point) as well as the internet is also a key requirement for this position.
- This is a full time position, envisaged for a term of approximately 36 months. Successful candidates will be stationed at the IMU Head Office in Abuja, Nigeria but will be required to make frequent visits to the field offices of the IMU and/or project sites located in any of the following countries: Nigeria, Niger, Benin, Togo and Burkina Faso.
- Shortlisted candidates must be ready to travel for interviews within two (2) weeks from the date of notification.
Method of Application
Applicants should kindly download Application Form (Ms Word) and complete, clearly indicating the position you are applying for. Send the completed Application Form accompanied by an Application Letter to: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click Here to Download Application Form (MS Word)
Click here for more information
Note: Candidates will be selected in accordance with the selection method for individual consultants set out in the Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants by World Bank Borrowers (January 2011).
For further enquiries kindly send emails to email@example.com or call +233 302 963401