September 28, 2012
Apply: Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative by U.S. Consulate General, Lagos
The Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative, CYFI, is a dynamic youth-based initiative launched in 2011 by the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos. CYFI brings together Nigerian youth of exceptional vision, skills and experience to design and implement projects that have a positive impact on Nigerian society. The theme of the 2012 CYFI year is “Youth Engagement.”
Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative is inviting applications for the 2013 program year. This year, applicants for CYFI can apply as individuals or as a group (maximum three members). There is no advantage to applying either way. Please find detailed application instructions below. Application deadline is December 15, 2012. The CYFI Board will interview shortlisted individual and group applicants in January 2013, and selected CYFI fellows will be announced by February 2013.
NOTE: Due to logistical and budgetary constraints faced by the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos, we regret that all 2013 CYFI projects must be held in Lagos State. All applicants must be legal residents of Nigeria.
Please do not exceed word limits on the application. We will stop reading after the word limits are reached.
Applicants who apply as individuals will complete and submit the:
- Standard Application Form online (text of link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SFDR8JK) and the
- “Hypothetical Scenario Essay.” Find instructions for the Hypothetical Scenario Essay here. (text of link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cCY7Dur5RAiAk8DmeUJ1_PbKhVT7443cvAR5RzcRZLQ/edit).
The purpose of the Hypothetical Scenario Essay is to judge the individual applicants’ ability to develop a plan of action in a logical, step-by-step manner. Individual applicants who are selected for the fellowship will be grouped into teams based on their interests as expressed in the written application and interview. Please carefully review the Hypothetical Scenario Essay instructions. Individual applicants should not e-mail in a project proposal.
Applicants who apply as part of a group will:
- Complete the Standard Application Form and;
- Submit a Group Project Proposal. Find instructions for the Group Project Proposal here (text of link: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6T9EBWuP9l4TGZjenRaUjY5dlE).
Groups can consist of two or three applicants. Each group will submit one proposal via e-mail to email@example.com and each applicant will submit his or her own Standard Application Form. Groups selected for the fellowship will likely have to substantially revise their project proposals upon joining CYFI. Group applicants do not have to answer the Hypothetical Scenario Essay. Note again that all projects must take place in Lagos state.
Here is an example of a Group Project Proposal: Build a Village proposal
We look forward to reading your applications!
What are the benefits of being a CYFI fellow?
- Implement concrete, youth-oriented solutions to issues that concern you
- Access U.S. Government resources and contacts
- Catch the attention of American and Nigerian leaders in the public and private sectors
- Work alongside talented and motivated peers with diverse backgrounds, but similar visions
- Participate in CYFI Alumni Program
What is expected from a CYFI fellow?
- Complete a project with a social impact as part of project team
- Attend monthly project status meetings with CYFI Board of Directors
- Participate in roundtables, networking events, and team building events
- Prospective fellows should note that all meetings and group work for CYFI project will be conducted in Lagos State. Fellows who live outside of the greater Lagos metropolitan area and are unable to attend frequent meetings with their project teams and monthly meetings with the CYFI Board, in Lagos, will not be considered for the fellowship.
Deadline: 15th December, 2012
More Information about the Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative can be found here.
For more useful career and job tips, follow myjobmag.com on Twitter for timely tweets, join us on Facebook for better conversation and subscribe to our email-list for weekly updates.
Any comments? Kindly use the comment box below.