At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1 billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused company that is known and respected throughout the world.
Job Title: Quality, Safety and Environment Manager
Job ID: 27174
Description & Requirements:
Develop and Implement the Quality, Environment and Safety Plans for the plants, distribution centers and market place for given territory as per the Business Unit QSE goals, the acceleration of the Quality improvement across the supply chain, the Implementation of The Coca-Cola Operational Requirements (KORE) for Quality, Environment and Health & Safety in the Bottling Plants, Distribution centers and market place and ensuring 100% compliance to Company and Business Unit QSE related Policies, requirements and specifications.
Coach and lead the QSE team at bottling plants and optimize their activities so that they can positively and significantly impact quality performance results.
Champion and support the bottling plants in order to accelerate the QSE improvement in all its aspects, eliminating potential technical business risks and achieving excellence in the bottling plants processes. This will require very close working with Bottler Management and staff in order to identify all improvement opportunities and set accurate and detailed corrective action plans.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Quality Improvement – 25%
- Develop and Implement an Annual Quality Improvement Plan for each bottling plant and Co-Packer in territory
- Accelerate the improvement of product, package and fountain quality indicators targeting the aspirational goal of 100% Product Quality conformance.
- Accelerate the implementation of KORE in the Bottling Plants, Distribution centers and Market place and regularly evaluating the effectiveness of the plan and adjusting it as needed.
- Ensure Trade sampling program is properly executed in sales territories under responsibility and proceed to its regular assessment and ensure Quality measures (QM) reference data is regularly reviewed and updated.
- Develop and implement Quality improvement plan for each of the fountain and hot beverage machines in the market place to eliminate risks and improve quality and hygiene scores
QSE Compliance – 35%
- Influence the bottling and co-packer plant management by pre-assessing the plants on a regular basis and developing the corrective action plans to meet KORE requirements and plants are audit ready all the time
- Review bottling and co-packer plants and ingredients suppliers audits reports and ensure all issues reported are properly investigated, addressed through detailed corrective action plans and resolved in reasonable time and validate effectiveness of each corrective action plan.
- Ensure continuous improvement on QSE compliance along the maturity continuum by working effectively with the bottling and co-packer plant management to get international certifications e.g., ISO 9001, 14001, OHSAS 18001 & FSSC 22001 and like for their plants and distribution centers
- GMP and Food safety being the focus work with bottling and co-packer management to improve the operations to world class standards and put in systems for sustainability for longer term.
- Work with bottling and co-packer management to continuously meet TCCCs requirements within their operations as updated from time to time by the company
Data Reporting – 10%
- Work closely with the bottler and co-packer teams to ensure timely consolidation and distribution of reports to key stakeholders (e.g., Quality Measures, Out of Specification, Analysis and Corrective Action Plans, Audit Pre-assessment report etc..)
- Work with bottler and co-packer teams to collect TCCC required sustainability data e.g., water use ratio, energy use ratio, safety performance, wastewater performance and additional from time to time required
Systems Implementation – 5%
- Prioritize the implementation of the Quality Assurance Programs and Techniques in the manufacturing sites so that the cycle of continuous improvement is built in the system through 5S, SPC, OE etc
Supplier Management – 5%
- Ensure all ingredients suppliers comply with KORE requirements
- Support approval of auxiliary material suppliers e.g. chemicals for bottler washers, conveyors, caustic soda, Cleaning in Place (CIP) chemicals
Commercialization – 5%
- Provide input and support to product and package launches to ensure the quality of all new product/package launches are done as per TCCC requirements
- Identify new technologies and processes to improve existing bottling operation and provide support in installation / commercialization
Risk Management – 10%
- Evaluate business technical risks across the value chain processes including suppliers, bottlers, Co-Packers and distribution and develop and implement required action plans to ensure full compliance to Company Policies and requirements so that potential risks are prevented.
- Closely work with bottling plants and Co-Packers to develop and implement preventive and corrective action plans and ensure their regular effectiveness evaluation.
- Ensure Statistical Process Control (SPC) programs are effectively implemented in all operations and regularly performed, analyzed and corrective actions taken.
Capability Building – 5%
- Closely work with the bottling plants, co-packer plants and Business Unit Technical Capability Manager to identify training needs for bottler staff and provide direction and support in order to achieve high standards and excellence at the plants. Prioritize the development areas based on the business need e.g. Stills, Quality improvement tools, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s), Consumer complaints, etc
- Create quality ownership at all levels of the bottler through setting up the necessary awareness programs and management routines.
Financial /Job Scope
- Within Company: Franchise Technical Manager, Technical Services Manager , Franchise Operations Teams, Technical Central – Stewardship Manager, Technical Operations Manager, Packaging manager , Supplier Manager, Capabilities Manager, Program and System Manager, SRA, Bottler Technical and Quality Teams, Technical Analyst, Africa Technical Centre (ATC), Company Analytical Laboratories ,
- Outside Company: Bottler Management, Co-packers, Suppliers, External Analytical Laboratories, trade sampling agents, distributors, Subject Matter Experts/Consultants
- Supervisory Responsibilities: No
- Related Job Requirements/Qualifications
- Strong technical understanding with deep knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices, Quality Assurance Principles, Laboratory Testing and applicable Systems and Programs
- Problem Analysis/ Problem Solving: Forming an opinion or making a decision through careful testing of assumptions and facts; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences.
- Good knowledge on business management systems : ISO 9000, 14000, 18000 and Food Safety Systems - FSSC 22000
- Supplier Development: Using knowledge of supplier manufacturing processes to influence and guide them in improving and developing their process capability
- Strong understanding of Governance requirements and Code of Business Conduct
- Basic Project Management: Knowledge of project management principles and the ability to apply the principles, tools and techniques to develop/plan, manage or execute projects or work plans to ensure successful completion (e.g. on time, within budget).
- Risk Analysis/Management: Knowledge of and ability to manage the risk analysis/management
- Basic Packaging: Basic knowledge of Packaging materials and the related production processes.
- Knowledge of KORE - application of TCCC related policies, principles and standards will be an added advantage
- Generic Competencies: Competencies (Leader of Self)
- Drives Innovative Business Improvements
- Balances Immediate and Long-Term Priorities
- Delivers Results
- Imports and Exports Good Ideas
- Develops and Inspires Others
- Lives the Values
- Required Experience
- At least 8 years’ relevant experience in the Food Industry, preferably in the beverage/dairy sector. Bottler experience would be an added advantage
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in engineering or Science: Food Science & Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Biochemistry, Microbiology or related disciplines.
- Fluent in English. French will be an added advantage
- Cultural Diversity
- Ability to balance interaction at multiple levels from Franchise Teams to suppliers to distributors requires cultural sensitivity
- Work effectively in a challenging Franchise environment building alignment whilst also managing the TCCC business agenda
- Cultural diversity specifics will depend on assigned geography characteristics
- Very wide and diverse bottler system with significant capability challenges in most areas, both management and operational: Success requires major system alignment
- Significant variation in Technology and People Capability
- Major challenges in mitigating risk – particularly in resources (water, processing, auxiliary materials etc.)
- Sub-optimal infrastructure
Judgement and Decision Making
- Full responsibility for the delivery of Quality , environmental and safety issues (see key responsibilities)
- Provides input into ABP and SBP development and execution at Franchise level
Impact: Out of Stock (OOS), Loss of Revenue, Customer Dissatisfaction, Loss of Confidence in Brand, Product Recall
As per assigned geography
Significant travel required: 50% to 60% of time
Application Closing Date: Wednesday, 13 November 2013
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should click here to apply online
Register for our Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Course.
Learn a skill today.